Friday, January 25, 2013

Sociocultural awareness – Is your behavior helping or hindering the cause?



**SIDE NOTE: This post is a little unusual and contains a less professional approach then the rest of my blog**

“To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge” – Benjamin Disraeli

How many times have you found yourself in a situation like the following?
You’re in a public place relaxing, serving a customer or just walking down the street and a situation arises where you find yourself face to face with a very confused individual that has little to almost no ability in communicating with you in English? Rather, this person seeks obvious help using broken basic words or points around like he/she is trying to catch an imaginary butterfly?

I’ve found myself in many situations like this when I worked the restaurant industry in high school, tended bar in college and moved to Orlando, Florida for a few months for my job (extremely transient city!). Most of the time I found myself instantly frustrated, hastily apologizing for not being able to help and scurrying away like this person had a disease of some sort. Subconsciously, I found myself thinking, “Ugh, your in America, speak English!!!”

So, here I am four years later living and traveling around Europe over the past three. During the first two years, I slowly uncovered and discovered my personal level of ignorance in regards to language through my own experiences in other cultures. BUT, it wasn’t until this year that I have been able to fully understand the general ignorance of most Americans (when it comes to language barriers) through the experiences of those who have come to visit.

Almost every person who has made his or her way to beautiful Vienna, Austria has made a statement like this at least one time during his or her stay (whether I witnessed it myself or was told about it in frustration later). “I had a great day, but this one individual at [insert random place here] was so rude and looked at me like I had 5 heads… all I wanted to do was [order or buy] something and they had no idea what I was talking about, isn’t this a big tourist destination? Shouldn’t these people know English?!?”

This is where my newfound realization triggered an urge to ask myself this: “As an American living overseas, what I can do to help my friends back home and those currently around me?”

I usually respond to these rants aka comments with the following statements. “How many times have you been frustrated with someone else not speaking English in America, well…because they are in America? Your in “someone else’s” country, don’t you think they are saying the same exact thing about you? What makes you, as a native English speaker, so special that people should know English, regardless of your geographical location? How can you complain about another’s inability to speak and comprehend your language (chances are they can fluently speak several other languages) when most Americans only know ONE language.”

Most of the time, I get an empty blank stare for a few minutes while the person processes what just happened…. Then I see it click. Their body language shows signs of shame, their head isn’t poised so high anymore and the look in their eye is that of realization and disappointment in their previous actions.

My goal is not to “preach to” or demean the individuals who come to visit me, I solely want to instill the same understanding that I have incurred over the years into those whom I love and care about.

I’ve come to understand that there’s a huge gap in an individual’s mindful intelligence and their ability to truly assimilate the knowledge within them. Break down your barriers with compassion, patience and understanding so that when you find yourself in this very situation, you have the courage and respect to do what you can to help.

I know that when I get home, I will charades and hand gesture the shit out of any language barrier “conversation” that comes my way…even if it helps just a little bit!

The power of understanding can lend itself to a lot of greatness, but the biggest greatness it has bestowed upon me, is the ability to be just a little less ignorant. Travelling has given me more insight, wisdom, perception and richness that any professional or accredited institution ever has - and for that I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment